Corner of Flinders and Swanston Streets, Melbourne
Illuminated signage was a prominent feature on buildings at this gateway intersection by the time this photograph was taken around 1950. Young & Jacksons Hotel, at centre, is adorned with illuminated signs for towels and theatre shows, and another building to its left advertises shoes. A bold sign is visible further along Swanston Street for Aspro. The sign is on the side of the Nicholas Building, built by Nicholas Pty Ltd the manufacturer of Aspro.
Photograph: State Library of Victoria Picture Collection