Menzies Hotel traded at this site at the southeast corner of Bourke and William Streets from 1867 until 1969. The building was designed by the prolific nineteenth century architectural firm of Reed & Barnes, who designed many of this city’s commercial and public buildings. Menzies Hotel was originally three-storeys, and in 1896 two additional levels and its distinct corner tower were added. Later additions to the hotel increased its Bourke Street frontage with a six-storey wing.
Menzies Hotel was one of Melbourne’s grandest hotels, but by the 1960s it was unable to compete with the newer international hotel chains; one of these being the Intercontinental group’s Southern Cross Hotel opened in 1962. Menzies was closed in 1969 and demolished, and its former site is now occupied by the sleek, black, former headquarters of BHP, completed in 1972.
Source of Photograph: State Library of Victoria Picture Collection