This distinct Moderne-style building, at 33 Collins Street (the Paris End), was built as medical suites in 1937. Its robust facade, clad in Sydney freestone, is relieved at its base with polished dark granite around its entrance. Designed by the architect Gerald Ryan, and built by the contractors J C Taylor & Sons, it was noted at the time of its completion for the use of Fisk windows that could block up to 90% of street noise from entering the building. The building, which replaced a row of nineteenth century terraces, was itself removed in the 1970s for the Collins Place development.
Source of Image: Harold Paynting Collection
State Library of Victoria Picture Collection